Can't Find What Your Looking For?

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Great Deals at the Grocery Store!


Let me start by saying I know I've missed two days of blogging. I also have been so busy that until I got on here to write this blog I didn't know I had missed two days.

I recently read the book The Coupon Mom's Guide to Cutting Your Grocery Bills in Half by Stephanie Nelson. She talks about combining sales with coupons to get the most out of your money.

So my first success was last week some time. Smith's had Colgate toothpaste on sale for 10/$10 or $1 each. And I used a 75 cents off coupon to get my 4.6 oz. tube of toothpaste for $0.25.

So this week they are having a huge Mix & Match Sale. Here's what I got and for how much and what coupons I used. Let me start by saying for my family (me, my husband and our toddler) we have a $40/week grocery budget. Thats not usually what we spend but it's what we should to not rely on overtime to stay within budget.

I bought 40 items for $40.89. I'm sure most of you are going to look at this list and say but what are you going to eat. We will eat from a stocked full cupboard and freezer that has been filled in better times.

Here's the list:

Gatorade: 10 @ $0.49 = $4.90 (hubby takes these for lunch, saving money from eating out)
Pasta Roni: 2 @ $0.79 = $1.58
Rice-a-Roni: 4 @ $0.79 = $3.16
Sobe: 6 @ $0.88 = $5.28
Loreal Vive Shampoos & Conditioners: 7 @ $2.00 each with 7 $1.00 off coupons = $7.00 (saved $27.93 on that one)
Colgate Toothbrushes: 2 @ $2.00 each with 2 $0.75 off coupons = $2.50
Colgate Toothpaste: 1 @ $2.00 with $0.75 off coupon = $1.25
Breyer's Ice Cream: 2 @$1.97 with $0.75 off 2 coupon = $3.19
Carefree Panty Liners: 2 @ $2.00 each with $1.00 off 2 coupon = $3.00
Bissel Hepa Filters: 2 @ $2.00 each from Clearance bin originally $6.59 each = $4.00 (saved $9.18)
6 pack Snapple: Free I won it on Smith's site. They've got some kind of spin the wheel game going on right now. (saved $4.99 sale price) & I love snapple but I don't buy it cause its too expensive.
Bakery End of the Day Packaged Donuts: $3.49 label says $2.49 so I'm gonna have to take the package and the reciept back tomorrow and get some of my money back. Which brings up another point the coupon mom makes. Always check your receipts.
Taxes: $1.54

Grand Total: $40.89

I'd say $0.89 over budget is pretty good. I could get that from the change jar or the sofa cushions.

Another thing I thought I'd add to this grocery shopping post is about Price books. One of the best ways to know whether or not the price on something you need is a good one is to check your price book. For instructions on a great one check out Heather's Post: How to Keep a Price Book. Hope you can all start finding some great deals and use your coupons.

The book has lots of other tips and information and it was an easy read, only took me a few sittings.



No comments:

Post a Comment