But, what I really like was this poster they displayed here, about what makes one a homesteader. It has inspired me to get started, because despite the fact that we live in an apartment we can still do quite a few things on that list.
* I could grow some food in containers. ~ Something is better than nothing! (Saves $)
* I could use alternative energy sources, such as oil lamps or candles instead of lights. (Saves $)
* I could practice waste reduction by recycling. (Plus make a little $)
* I could use alternative transportation, such as walking. We have quite a bit within walking distance. (Saves $)
* I could live simply, although I don't feel like I thoroughly know what that means or what it means to them.
* I could collect rain water, although we don't get much. But better than that I could collect the water that runs from the faucet while I'm waiting for it to heat up for shower's or whatever. I could wash dishes in a tub and reuse that water.
* I am a stay at home mom so technically I work at home but I could also make a product to sell for actual income.
* I think I am a good neighbor, although there is always room for improvement.
* I do most things myself. I'm currently improving my sewing and quilting skills. Learning new techniques for making bread, & dairy products like yogurt, candles, soap, canning and cooking from scratch.
I can or already do 9 out of the 10 things necessary to become a Homesteader. Little steps will help us to save money to put away for the purchase of our ultimate homestead, someday!