Can't Find What Your Looking For?

Monday, April 11, 2011

The Business of Being Born


In January of 2008 I found out I was pregnant. We weren't actively trying but we weren't actively preventing either. I called my doctor & they said if I thought I was pregnant that the first step was to go get an ultrasound. So my husband & I go have our ultrasound and despite the fact that the technician did a very good job or acting like everything was normal, there was no heart beat. It was about 5.2 weeks into the pregnancy. According to most books I had read it wouldn't be until the sixth week for a heart beat. (And considering my baby was born a week past her due date maybe it was only 4 weeks). So I go to work the next day like everything is normal and while I'm there I get a call from the doctors office telling me I need to go have blood tests, today and again in 2 days. Totally freeked me out. Then I have any appointment to see the doctor & I go in and she tells me that somethings probably wrong since there was not a heart beat and that they might have to go in and clear me out. Then she tells me to make another ultrasound appointment for the following week. So I go in for my 2nd ultrasound and everything seems fine... there's a heart beat. After maybe 1 or 2 more visits I started looking for a midwife.

Anyway, long story short is that everything turned out fine. I gave birth to a 7 pound 12 ounce 22 in baby girl, despite having gestational diabetes, at home in a birth pool. This would never have happened had I stuck with the doctor. The day I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes would have been the day the doctor scheduled my c-section. Anyway, despite the fact that I have not yet been able to see the whole film, I'm sure just by watching the trailer that its views are in line with how I felt about the medical profession and being pregnant. So check out The Business of Being Born produced by Ricki Lake.

As a side note: if your looking for a midwife in the las vegas area check out Baby's 1st Day &
April Kermani my midwife. Or various other midwives and birth professionals at Well Rounded Momma.

Take the time to look into who's caring for you and your baby, its a precious season that you won't want ruined.

Buy it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment