Can't Find What Your Looking For?

Monday, June 20, 2011

How to Preserve Your Sewing Patterns

I would in no way consider myself an advanced sewer. I've been sewing for about a year now and the first time I used a pattern, I was making matching dresses for my friend and I. We are too different sizes and so since I'm bigger I made mine first and then her's actually cutting the pattern. But once I was done I was kind of irritated thinking that pattern's are a single use product especially if you want to make multiple sizes. Then some where along the line I learned about freezer paper. Yes, previously used to wrap meat before freezing, this stuff is great.

Here's what I do:

Take out my pattern, decide which pieces I need. Then I unroll my freezer paper and cut a piece big enough to fit the pattern piece(s). Then I lay the freezer paper on top of the pattern and trace with a pencil. Then I write notes on the freezer paper like the pattern name, piece and any other directions on it. Then I cut it out of the freezer paper with scissors. Now my pattern is still in perfect condition and even better is that when you iron the freezer paper to you fabric you don't need to pin it, it sticks! This is especially great if you're trying to make a lot of something. What are you going to make with your freezer paper pattern? I can't wait to see!

And don't worry if your hands unsteady and its not traced perfectly or cut perfectly, as long as its close the seams will still make it look nice and straight. I think sewing is very forgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment